Tuesday, June 8, 2010

So, it's been a bit since I last checked in.  Had a rough week last week.  Body and brain kinda melted down.  Probably a triple whammy from the crappy weather, fatigue from everything I've made my body do for the last several months (ok..years)...and well...just life.
So, I pulled out of my first race ever (wait..I've had to pull out of two other races...but they were for mechanical issues and a hamstring pull), for no reason other than I was just too dang tired to do it.  Seriously.  I was halfway through the bike (and a short Olympic distance of all things), and all I wanted to do was go home, take a hot bath (yep, it was cold) and go back to bed.  I was TIRED.  Not a "my muscles are working hard and I'm tired" kind of tired.  It was a "My muscles, brain, and the rest of me are mush and I am exhausted" kind of tired.  So, I pull into transition (after completely shutting down and putting into transition), and seriously sat down and could NOT make myself put my shoes on to do the run.  I couldn't imagine running even 1 block, much less 6 miles.  Funny, huh.  Ha, ha.
So, I decided to hand in my timing chip, gather up my stuff and call it a day.  Good call.  I am still glad I did it, cause I think the run would have just demolished me.  I still had to go to my boys baseball games all afternoon, but it was manageable cause I did take my hot bath and felt a bit better.
That was Saturday.  Sunday and Monday....I laid around  my house ALL DAY (it was Memorial Day on Monday) and didn't do a thing.  It felt bad to not feel good....but, it felt so good to be able to just lay around.  My daughter Covey was not humored.  She pulled a framed saying off our wall that I have that talks about playing with your kids and making them a priority and brought it over to me as I was playing couch potato and was like "Mom!  See this?  You need to PLAY with me!  Stop being laaaazzzyyyy!" 
Her guilt trip was totally effective.  But, it still didn't really get me out there playing. Instead I just made her go get a book and read it together.  Victory.  Still laying around....but, not so terrible of a mom...
Anyways...this last several days have been terrific.  I feel recovered and happy and energetic again.  So, it is all good. 
I guess that we just have to listen to what our bodies tell us and try to go with that.  Not easy.  I know  my brain and my body sometimes disconnect.  So, I am glad my body made me listen for a few days and I am now the better (at least I hope!) for it!
That's all for now~

No comments: